We lost an entire freakin' choir rehearsal today because those disruptive girls were about to brawl (I tried to think of a way to write that sentence in a way that sounded appropriately seething, but I couldn't). I'm seething (see?). The story goes that there was almost a fight yesterday that didn't happen, so it apparently boiled over into this morning and choir began with these girls yelling colorful expletives so that everyone could hear them. We spent the class with me monitoring the room while Mrs. D took certain participants to the office one-by-one.
That wasn't the worst part, though. After all of the discipline write-ups Mrs. D did, they are still, according to the web-based discipline system, unread (in fact, so are the write-ups from the last significant incident)! We have no idea (again) what to expect tomorrow. I am being generous in saying that administrative action regarding these girls leaves something to be desired.
I was able to give 2/3 General Music classes a quiz today (the 3rd wasted too much time during our review session). I read the quiz to them and allowed them to use their notes for the last 3 minutes of quiz-taking time, and many of them did terribly. The learning support teachers present in these two classes were in support of my methods, and I will be working with them to make sure I only give bad grades to the students that deserve them for not giving an effort, and that I find a way to enable those who suffered due to disability a proper chance to succeed.
If anyone ever asks you to differentiate instruction for 26 special education students, run.